3 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/3 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups sugar
10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon orange liqueur (I used Cointreau)
1 tablespoon orange zest (make sure it's a really fragrant orange--it makes all the difference)
1 cup (8 oz) sliced almonds
1 large egg white
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Sift flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. In another bowl, mix sugar, melted butter, 3 eggs, vanilla extract, orange liqueur and zest together with a wire whisk.
3. Add the flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until just blended. Mix in sliced almonds.
4. Divide the dough into two, and using floured hands, shape each piece into 13 1/2 inch long by 2 1/2 inch wide logs. Transfer both logs to a silpat or parchment paper lined baking sheet.
5. Brush the tops and sides of the logs with egg white.
6. Bake the logs for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.
7. Let the logs cool completely, about 25 minutes. Once cool, cut the logs diagonally into 1/2 inch slices using a serrated knife.
8. Transfer the slices back onto the baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes. Turn the slices over and bake for another 6-8 minutes.
9. Transfer the slices onto a rack and let cool completely.
10. Enjoy with a cup of Intelligentsia coffee :)